Keep things cozy during the chilly months with delicious homemade soups! Follow these easy steps to creating golden goodness from almost nothing! The flavour in this soup is absolutely unreal. Talk about a crowd pleaser! Whether you choose to serve this soup at a dinner party or for a weeknight meal, you are sure to impress. You may need a Kleenex or two while cutting the onions…and again while slowly browning the onions, but we promise it will all be worth it! A few ingredients really go a long way with this delicious and hearty soup.
Below makes 6-8 servings.
What you will need:
- 9 medium sized cooking onions; thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 cracks of pepper
- 2 chicken broth flavour cubes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley; roughly chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups of lager (we have used Harp and Guinness)
- ¼ cup white old cheddar cheese
- thick baguette slices (1 per bowl)
Prep time: 15 minutes ◊ Cook time: 55 minutes
- Use a large stock pot on medium-low heat to melt butter. Add onions, salt and pepper and with the lid on, cook onions for 35 minutes until tender and brown in colour. Stir often and use your spoon to scrape off flavours from bottom of the pot.
- Add flour, mix thoroughly and cook for an additional minute. Stir in Dijon mustard and bring to boil.
- Add water, beer, chicken stock cubes and parsley. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven broiler to high.
- Spoon a generous amount of onions and broth into serving bowls, butter one side of baguette, and nestle one slice into the center of each bowl; butter side facing up.
- Sprinkle with cheese, then broil quickly for 1.5 minutes until bread is lightly toasted and cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!