Juicy, tender, crispy, pull apart chicken fingers. Here is how you make your own super delicious chicken fingers in the comfort of your own home! Chicken fingers have that casual dining feel to them and are always a fun laid back lunch or dinner option. Great on salads, in wraps or as is with your choice of side. Enjoy a healthier baked option without making sacrifices in the flavour department. What’s our secret to the most crispy and flavourful chicken tenders? It’s all in coating the chicken and pre-baking the breadcrumbs!
What you will need:
- 3 chicken breasts; cut into 2-3 inch slices
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (if you use unseasoned panko add a little garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes to the breadcrumbs)
- cooking oil spray
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
Prep Time: 15 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 390F and place a wire rack onto a baking tray to ensure chicken fingers cook more evenly.
- Spread panko bread crumbs onto a baking sheet, spray lightly with oil spray (spray from above not the side) and roast for 3 minutes until golden brown and crispy. This will ensure your chicken fingers have an extra crispy coating. Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl.
- Combine egg, mayonnaise, dijon, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a medium size bowl and whisk together.
- For less mess and a better coating experience, use one hand to dip the sliced chicken into the batter ensuring good coverage, then using tongs, place the battered chicken into the panko crumbs bowl. Use your dry clean hand to sprinkle chicken with bread crumbs, patting crumbs into the batter as you go.
- Transfer prepared chicken to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining tenders. Just before putting them in the oven lightly spray tops of chicken fingers with oil spray (from above). Cook for 15-18 minutes depending on the size or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce!