Rustic and beautiful! These savoury galettes make for a delicious start to your menu. Served warm, they are incredibly light and delicate in flavour. Alternatively, you can make one large galette and serve as a main along-side a fresh green salad.
Below makes 4 galettes:
What you will need:
- 3 leeks; white and light green parts only
- 12 cremini mushrooms; sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Leaves from 4 sprigs of thyme
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup dry white wine (or dry vermouth)
- 2 tbsp. sour cream (or creme fraiche)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg; beaten
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley; roughly chopped
- Puff pastry
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- ¼ cup goats cheese; crumbled
- 4-5 roasted garlic cloves; finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
Prep Time: 30 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise, then cut into thin slices. Rinse thoroughly.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until they have browned. Add leeks, thyme and ¼ cup of water. Sauté leeks until they are tender.
- Add wine and cook until the liquids have reduced, about 10-12 minutes.
- Thoroughly stir in roasted garlic, then add sour cream; stir to coat the leek mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beaten egg and chopped parsley into mixture. Stir to incorporate thoroughly. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into ¼ inch thick sheets and divide into four 6 inch circles. Transfer galette rounds onto waiting parchment paper.
- Divide the leek mixture evenly among the galette rounds, leaving 1½ inches around the border. Sprinkle with goat cheese. Gently fold pastry border over leek mixture, overlapping as you go. Brush top of pastry with egg wash.
- Bake galettes until pastry is golden and cheese is starting to brown, approximately 25 minutes. Serve warm.